You need to balance out your menu so you don’t only serve desserts and sweets for Halloween, and this is a simple appetizer that you can be sure everyone will like. The Mummy Dogs are very easy to make, just roll out the pastry dough and cut it in strips to wrap around each hot-dog sausage. Bake, and serve. I always prefer the classic ketchup and mustard combo, but you can try these with… dare I say it… supermarket cheese sauce.
1 lb puff pastry (purchase at the supermarket or pastry stores)
16 hot-dog sausages
Yellow Mustard and Ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Roll out the pastry dough with a rolling pin to form a rectangle.
- Cut long strips of about 1 cm wide.
- Wrap a strip around each sausage, leaving a part uncovered (that’s the face part)
- Line the wrapped sausages on a cookie sheet
- Bake according to your puff pastry’s instructions. Mine called for 40 min at 350º
- Make dots with yellow mustard for the mummy’s eyes.
- Serve with ketchup and additional mustard on the side.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.