As you know already, both my grandmothers passed the love for cooking to me, and started teaching me the ropes since I was a little girl. The first recipes that grandma Lucy taught me were her Magdalena and Borracho. When she said that we were making an Apple Cake, I was stunned. Usually she didn’t bake anything other than Borracho or Magdalena for our sunday family gatherings. I remember that she had someone coming over so she wanted to bake something different.
This is an amazingly easy cake to prepare- and you’ll be surprised of how fast you’ll prepare it. What takes most of the time, is peeling and dicing the apples. The batter doesn’t take much time to prepare. I made this cake last Sunday, since my cousin and his family were coming over so I thought it would be a good dessert to have coffee with. It turned out to be a success, and when my dad wanted a piece of it… he just got crumbs! I baked a second cake on Thursday morning. As of today (Friday) there’s only a third of the cake left! Got some good critiques from dad and my aunt saying that I made it just like Gradma Lucy! Couldn’t be happier! Hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I did.
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
Rinde: 12 porciones
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons milk
4 apples, peeled and diced
cinnamon to taste
nutmeg to taste
- Grease and flour a square 8″ baking dish.
- Mix apples with the nutmeg and cinnamon. Place on the greased 8″ baking dish.
- Preheat oven at 350ºC
- Sift the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- On a measuring cup, add the egg and the milk, whisk it until they are combined.
- Pour the egg and milk mix over the dry ingredients, whisking constantly and then pour the butter, and whisk until combined.
- Pour mix over apples and spread it until the apples are covered.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. My exact timing was 47 minutes to get the crispy crunchy top.
© 2011 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.