I have a cook-off coming up. A friend is flying to Guatemala in a few days and we will have a pizza duel after Christmas, word around the campfire is his pizza is nothing short of amazing, so I have to find myself a good recipe so I don’t humiliate myself. This is not it.
I made these last weekend because my sister Petra was coming over to visit and I wanted to make something quick and delicious we could chow down on while we caught up on our week’s events. She certainly has a lot to tell, she’s a med student on her last year and she was hours away from running yet another marathon, she’s quite the local athlete (completely opposite to moi).
This pizza sort of made itself, I didn’t really know what I was going to end up with, I just piled stuff on. My base was pita breads, I grilled vegetables I had around with olive oil and a simple salt and pepper seasoning, used creole tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese, and at the end added a little kick with tabasco, which I love.
Grilled Vegetable Pizza
Yields: 5 individual sized pizzas
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
5 pita breads
1 ½ cups creole tomato sauce
4 portobello mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
½ red onion
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bunch asparagus
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
salt and pepper to taste
- Start grilling. I used my indoor griller, so I pre-heated it for 5 minutes. Follow your griller’s instructions.
- Slice the mushrooms, zucchinis, bell pepper, onion and tomatoes. Keep each vegetable in a separate bowl as you will be grilling in batches. Coat the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill each of the vegetables and set aside.
- Set your pita breads on two cookie sheets (3 pitas on one and 2 in the other) and spoon a good amount of tomato sauce.
- Follow by evenly coating with equal amounts of each of the vegetables, except the asparagus.
- Cover with shredded mozzarella and sprinkle with enough parmesan to your liking.
- Season with dry basil, salt and pepper and finally, top with 2 asparagus tips
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until cheese has completely melted.
© 2011 – 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.