Sometimes you just need to vary the way you cut a vegetable to give it a whole new presentation and completely change the look of a familiar dish, like regular cucumber salad. Instead of slicing down on a fresh cucumber I used a peeler to shave along its length to form ribbons.
I suggest you serve your salad immediately, so the cucumber doesn’t lose its “crispness”… is that a word? Also, toss it with your favorite dressing when you’re ready to eat. My favorite dressing to use with cucumbers is a basic yogurt mixture, you’ll find the recipe below.
Shaved Cucumber Salad
Adapted from Everyday Food
Salt and pepper to taste
- With a vegetable peeler shave broad ribbons of cucumbers along is sides, stopping when you reach the center where the seeds are.
- Reserve the center of the cucumber, you will use it for your salad dressing.
- Place ribbons on a platter or serving dish and set aside
For the Yogurt Dressing
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
center of a shaved cucumber
Procedure for Yogurt Sauce:
- Using your blender, mix yogurt, cucumber center, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 hour, to allow flavors to come together.
- Use it to toss with your shaved cucumbers.
© 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.