Simple Apple Tart
A few days ago, I had 5 gorgeous apples and half a recipe of a pie dough, so I knew that I had to make this Apple Tart. The recipe is simple. Very simple. You roll out the dough, place it in a tart dish, then place the sliced apples, bake and brush with an apple syrup. I was afraid this recipe would be so simple that my dad (and favorite critic) would think it wasn’t sweet enough.
But since I trust Deb’s recipes with my eyes closed, I went ahead and baked it. Then.. the time of truth! After dinner, I served the tart and it was a success. It surprised us all. The tart is flavorful with the perfect amount of sweetness to it, not too dry and light. Give it a try!
Simple Apple Tart
Recipe by Alice Waters, found at Smitten Kitchen
Makes one tart
½ recipe of pate briseé
5 medium sized apples
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar, to sprinkle
½ cup sugar, for the syrup
- Flatten pate briseé into a 4-inch-thick disk; refrigerate. After at least 30 minutes, remove; let soften so it’s malleable but still cold. Smooth cracks at edges. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 14-inch circle about ⅛ inch thick. Dust excess flour from both sides with a dry pastry brush.
- Place dough in a lightly greased 9-inch round tart pan, Heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and core the apples, placing the peels and cores in a pot. Cut them in half and slice.
- Overlap the apples on dough forming a ring, up to the sides from the tart pan. Continue inward until you reach the center. Fold the dough hanging over pan back onto itself; crimp edges at 1-inch intervals.
- Brush melted butter over the apples and onto dough edge. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over dough edge and 1 tablespoon over apples.
- Bake in the center of the oven until apples are soft, with browned edges, and crust has caramelized to a dark golden brown, about 45 minutes, making sure to rotate tart every 15 minutes.
- Make glaze: Put reserved peels and cores in a large saucepan, along with sugar. Pour in just enough water to cover; simmer for 25 minutes. Strain syrup.
- Remove tart from oven, and place onto cooling rack. Let cool at least 15 minutes.
- Brush some of the glaze over tart, slice, and serve.
© 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.