December is here, and with it comes unavoidable stress. Everyone’s schedule gets packed with activities and Christmas parties, or what we call convivios, and you want to make it to everything! You also probably want to throw a little convivio yourself and you try to find a date where most of your guest list can make it. My schedule is specially packed because we have 5 family members’ birthdays during the first two weeks of December. As much as you try to have a low-key, cozy, at home holiday… it’s impossible, right?
This month, we want to share easy but delicious recipes that you can use for your Christmas party, or holiday meal. The first, is this cranberry-almond rice which is simple to make, but makes a big impression because of its delicious taste and its color palette. It’s different from you usual rice dishes because the added cranberries give it a sweetness you don’t expect. Trust The Foodies’ Kitchen, and try this recipe.
Cranberry-Almond Holiday Rice
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ cup chopped onions
½ cup dried cranberries
1 ½ cups uncooked rice
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 green onions, chopped (optional)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup slivered almonds
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir cranberries and jasmine rice into onion until rice is coated with oil and rice is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Bring rice mixture to a boil over high heat, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 22 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir green onions, cilantro, and almonds into rice mixture. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
© 2013 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.