Guest Foodies: Butter Love & Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Helga & Kitty
One of my favorites, so soft and with a delicate bittersweet touch. You can enjoy it at every time of the day, with a cup of tea, coffee or just add some whipped cream by it side.
Mali Casasola, Butter Love
Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Makes: Two small loaves
Recipe by Butter Love
Ingredients, for the pound cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
¾ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoon of milk
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon lemon extract
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon of poppy seeds
Ingredients, for the glaze:
1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
4 tablespoons of milk
1 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF and grease the baking pans with a little bit of butter and flour.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and add the sugar. Continuing with the eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon extract. Then add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt; all combined) to the butter mixture. When all the ingredients are incorporated, add the lemon juice, ending with the poppy seeds.
- Pour the mixture over the baking pans. Don’t let the mixture be more than ⅔ of the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until they are lightly golden. And as always, make sure if they are ready, by inserting a toothpick at the center, if it comes out clean they are ready.
- Let them cool down, and prepare the glaze.
- To make the glaze just combine 1 cup of powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of milk and 1 tablespoons of lemon juice. This really depends of the consistency you like. If you want it to me more stiff, add more powdered sugar; and if you wanted to be more delicate and thin, add more milk or lemon juice. You may also decorate it with some lemon zest.
- Pour it over the pound cake to serve.
© 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.