Mixtas can be found on street carts and fairs, and are ideal to serve up for a barbecue or birthday celebration. They consist on a corn tortilla, filled with guacamole, cooked white cabbage, a frankfurter and the trinity of sauces: ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard. It’s basically a hotdog, but instead of bread, you use corn tortillas…and they are delicious.
The order in which the ingredients are added can vary according to each one’s preference, and there are no specific quantities. In this post, we show you how we like to prepare them: first guacamole, then cabbage, and we leave the frankfurter whole. Lastly, the trinity of sauces: ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. For those of you who like a little spice, you can add your favorite hot sauce at the end, for a finishing touch.
As far as the sausage goes, we prefer frankfurters which are made from beef/pork, but you can go ahead and use chicken or turkey sausages.
Recipe from The Foodies’ Kitchen
Yields: 2 mixtas
2 corn tortillas
2 sausages of your choice
1 cup shredded white cabbage
1 teaspoon white vinegar
hot sauce (optional)
- In a small pot, with a little boiling water, cook the sausages for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In another pot, with a little boiling water, cook the shredded cabbage for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash your avocado and season with salt, pepper and lime juice. This is a simple guacamole. Set aside.
- Drain the cabbage with a colander, and season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Set aside.
- Now that all the ingredients are ready, you can build your mixta: Cover a tortilla with the guacamole, don’t add too much so it doesn’t come out the sides Then add a little cabbage, place the sausage in the middle and drizzle ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. Add the hot sauce if you’re using it. Enjoy with a cold beer!
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.