I’ve been looking for Buddha Bowl types of recipes to include in my weekly menus as part of our meatless day of the week, and this particular recipe caught my eye. It includes sweet potatoes and spinach, which are usually part of our diet, as well as quinoa and black beans. What really made me decide to try it, was the Spicy Lemon Cashew Dressing which gave this veggie bowl a great touch!
Buddha Bowls can be assembled by starting with a base of greens, add a variety of veggies and beans, top with grains. You can also add nuts and seeds, and finally dress with your favorite sauce. It can be avocado, nut or yogurt based.
This is also a really good meal prep recipe. You can keep the different elements in separate containers and assemble your bowls as you need them, your veggie bowls will be ready when you are!
I recommend you double the recipe for the dressing. You can use it for other dishes, and also because it will be easier for the blender to mix up all the ingredients. Don’t you hate it when you need to blend a small amount of something, and you add the ingredients, turn it on… and nothing happens? To avoid this frustration, double the recipe.
Veggie Quinoa Bowl with Spicy Lemon Cashew Dressing
Recipe adapted from Heather Cristo
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 can of black beans, rinsed
4 tomatoes, diced
4 cups of spinach
Ingredients, for the avocado:
2 avocados, mashed
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients, for the sweet potatoes:
2 large sweet potatoes
salt and pepper
Ingredients, for the cashew dressing:
½ cup cashews
1 cup hot water (for soaking)
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons lime juice
3 teaspoons honey
½ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place the cashews in a glass and cover them with hot water. Set aside to soak for 10-20 minutes.
- Make the sweet potatoes: Toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil, cinnamon and kosher salt and roast on a bare sheet pan for 25 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Warm the beans in a small pan if desired and season to taste with salt.
- For the mashed avocado: Using a fork mash the avocado, sprinkle with salt and add the lime juice and mash everything together until well combined.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the quinoa between 4 portions, and add about ½ cup of sweet potatoes and ½ cup of black beans for each portion. Add spinach and diced tomatoes to each of the bowls. Top with mashed avocado.
- To make the Spicy Cashew Lemon Dressing: Drain the cashews and add them to a blender with red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Add the ½ cup of water and puree on high until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Drizzle the bowls with the dressing and add more as desired to taste.
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2018, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.